Saturday, June 19, 2010

How do i fix ip address conflict so my two computers can use the same dsl connection?

I just hooked up two computers to my DSL modem via a network router. I then set up the home network in Win XP on both computers and restarted both. Both computers are giving me a Windows system error "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network." I then tried repairing the local connection on each computer - trying to get a new IP address for both computers. That didn't work. The only way i can get on the internet is if I unplug one computer from the network router - no IP conflict that way and the internet works fine with just the one computer. So how do I get both computers on the internet?



How do i fix ip address conflict so my two computers can use the same dsl connection?ariel



Well I hate to say this but YOU NEED A ROUTER, the SD205 is just a five port switch and has no routing ability so it will not work to do what you need.



A router will supply seperate IP addresses for all computers on the inside system and will connect them to the Internet using the ONE IP that you have.



A switch will just connect all computers together and attempt to get an IP from your ISP -- which just supplies ONE IP thus all the conflict problems.



How do i fix ip address conflict so my two computers can use the same dsl connection?computers

No comments:

Post a Comment